Computer & Internet Use
The Fort St. James Public Library considers Internet information resources an extension of the material collections.
Free Internet access will be made available at the library through our computer stations and via our wireless network. Library membership is not a requirement for Internet access. Internet stations are also available for word processing.
Patrons wishing to use computers are required to sign in at the circulation desk. If demand for computers is high, sessions may be limited to a half-hour per patron.
Children under the age of 12 must have parent/guardian permission to use the computers, and parents must be with the child to monitor their computer use at all times. Children 13 and older may use the computers without parent/guardian permission. The Fort St James Public Library will not supervise the computer use of children aged 13 and older. Parents/guardians not wishing their children to access the internet stations at the Fort St. James Public Library must come into the library and sign a parental blocking form, which will be kept on record for reference.
The Fort St. James Public Library:
- Is not responsible for the content or quality of information retrieved over the Internet
- Warns users that Internet content may be offensive
- Warns users that Internet content may be unreliable and/or out-of-date
- Is not responsible for damages resulting from using the Internet
- Cannot be held liable for any information that may be lost, damaged or unavailable due to technical or other difficulties
- Is not responsible for any fees incurred by use of the Internet. The Library cannot guarantee security and confidentiality of any transaction, particularly e-commerce transactions
- Does not guarantee that the mechanical functions of this service will be uninterrupted or that the service will meet any specific requirements of users
- Is not liable for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages sustained or incurred in connection with the use of or inability to use the service
- Accepts all information given to the Library in good faith.
RULES FOR USAGE
- Library membership is not required to use the public access Internet computers
- A charge will be made for each printed page – payable at the circulation desk
- Children 12 years of age or younger will not be permitted to use the public access internet computers unless they are accompanied by a responsible caregiver who will supervise their conduct
- Internet access is unsupervised. Parents and guardians of children 13 years of age or older are responsible for their child’s use of the Internet
- Parents/guardians not wishing their children to have Internet access at the Public Library must come into the library and sign a parental blocking form which will be kept on file for reference
- If computer users require assistance, staff may be able to help when time permits
- Patrons should make appointments ahead of time if computer instruction will be needed
- Sessions are limited to 1/2 hour if demand is high or if bandwidth usage exceeds acceptable limits
- Users will not be permitted to change settings or program parameters on the public access Internet
- Users will not be permitted to access any computer programs other than those meant for public use on the public access Internet computers
- Users may not use external devices in the public access Internet computers
- Users may be denied use of the public access Internet computers if any of the following violations occur:
- accessing, downloading, storing or printing files or messages that are profane, obscene,
- copying commercial software in violation of copyright laws
- using the network for financial gain, commercial or illegal activity
- spreading computer viruses
- using language that offends or intends to degrade others
Printing and Copying:
Printing is available from library computers at a cost of 25 cents a page. Payments can be made in cash at the circulation desk. Wireless printing is not possible at this time.
Copying is possible using the scanning feature of the printer next to the public internet access computers. Scanning and saving documents is not possible at this time.
To read the entire Internet Use Policy click here.