Patron Code of Conduct
Fort St. James Public Library
Patron Code of Conduct
Please ensure your library remains a safe and welcoming place for everyone by respecting our Patron Code of Conduct.
- Library patrons, staff, and volunteers will treat each other in a courteous and respectful manner. Harassment, intimidation, and insulting language or behaviour of any kind will not be tolerated.
- We do not allow on library property:
- Tobacco products,
- Cannabis, or
- Illegal substances
- Intoxication, consumption, sale, and possession of liquor or illegal drugs will not be tolerated and may result in removal from library premises.
- Smoking is not allowed inside the library. Please respect the 3-metres smoke-free areas around all doors, windows, and air intakes (includes e-cigarettes and similar products).
- Please keep noise (conversation, electronic devices, phone calls, listening to music, etc.) to a level that will not disturb other library users.
- Patrons are encouraged to keep the library a fragrance-free zone.
- Animals, with the exception of service animals, must remain outside of the library.
Non-service animals left outside must:
- be safely and humanely restrained away from the front entrance.
- not disturb library patrons or people in the neighbourhood (e.g., barking).
- not intimidate people using the library.
Patron may be asked to leave the library if their animal is not meeting the above conditions.
- Children’s behaviour should not detract from others’ enjoyment of the library or create a safety hazard. The library does not assume responsibility for unattended children, and reserves the right to request that children be accompanied by an adult.
- Please help us maintain an uncluttered library space in case of an emergency, and for the safety of all patrons and staff. Please do not block entryways or fire exits.
- Respect must be given to all collection materials and library property.
- Soliciting, canvassing, begging, or distributing materials is not permitted. Promotional materials for local non-profit events or educational opportunities may be left with staff to consider posting within the library.
- Respect the privacy of library users and staff. Taking photographs, filming, or otherwise recording on library premises requires prior approval.
- Please follow all library policies, such as the Internet and Copyright Policies. These can be found online at https://fortstjames.bc.libraries.coop/using-the-library/policies/.
Non-compliance with the Code of Conduct may result in individuals being required to leave the library premises. Any concerns can be addressed to the Library Director, in person or through email at email@example.com.